Tuesday, May 20, 2008

They Don't Care About Us

Michael Jackson's hit They Don't Care About Us became his most controversial number yet

 On with the protest theme, we come to a situation of prejudice. Michael's say on the abuse of power and authority. Especially on minorities.

 Just listening to this Classical Hip-Hop/Reggae percussion eerily reminds me of John Lennon's "Give Peace A Chance"(yes, it appears he was the first Rapper). From the organic wooden-clattering clappers to the digitally enforced mellow-dramatic police scanner, Michael certainly makes you feel for those abused convicts(of course, never endorsing what they've done).

 Yet plenty of controversy surrounded his use of derogatory lyrics. Many thought "Jew me" and "Kike me" to be anti-Semitic slurs. But on the contrary, they were borrowed to express his disgust of discrimination and Social Darwinism.

 "My intention was for this song to say 'no' to racism, anti-Antisemitism and stereotyping."-Michael Jackson

 Eventually Michael recalled the album and personally mixed those words out at his own expense. Adding a few extra studio effects to drown them out.

 "Just the thought my lyrics would offend and hurt anyone's feelings is extremely painful to me."-Michael Jackson

But that did not stop the bickering.

 MTV and VH1 refused to show the prison version until the after hours because of it's somewhat violent nature. So he released the former Brazilian outtake a week later. Yet Jackson leaked a censored version for his fans to enjoy. Editing out all the scenes of dead bodies and the Holocaust.

 Just seems controversy was what made him sell at that time. Many folks(sadly) personally did not like him. However, the guys music was a whole different story! Why else would History become the double-platinum best seller?

1. They Don't Care About Us(Album Version) - 4:48
2. They Don't Care About Us(Dallas Main Mix) - 7:56
3. They Don't Care About Us(Charles Full Joint Mix) - 5:00
4. They Don't Care About Us(Track Master's Radio Edit) - 4:09
5. The Love To Infinity Mixes
7. Acappella
8. Live

They Don't Care About Us-The Short Films

 When it comes to the Status-Que, even he'll agree we've come along way. But As much as we'd like to think otherwise, he reminds us of the painful fact that the war isn't over yet. To this day, pharmaceuticals kill more people taking their medicine as prescribed then all illegal drug abuse combined! A conflict of interest is keeping the government from taking action!

The Prison Version

 The Prison Version brutally reminds us of all the hate crimes committed the world over on account of ethnic pride and twisted ideologies! Weather it be Castro, Hitler, Stalin, or even The KKK, organized hate crimes have done nothing but encase eternal scares.

 At first eating lunch with his inmates, Michael Jackson starts a protest which gets the whole jail-house chanting in the spirit of rebellion. If society is going to get reformed, then we like Teddy Roosevelt and Martin Luther King Jr. must take a stand!


The Brazilian Version

 The Brazilian Version is more of a protest against the miserable living conditions experienced within Rio De Janeiro's and Al Salvador's slums in Brazil. With Spike Lee calling all the shots and a civil rights Brazilian band named Olodum. Over the long run, Jackson's pioneering spirit eventually somewhat improved the living conditions at Dona Marta(although they still got a long way to go). A fire was started by Michael and has engulfed the Shanty Town with hope of a brighter tomorrow.


Lyrics

Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
Situation, aggravation
Everybody allegation
In the suite, on the news
Everybody dog food
Bang bang, shot dead
Everybody's gone mad

All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us

Beat me, hate me
You can never break me
Will me, thrill me
You can never kill me
Jew me, sue me
Everybody do me
Kick me, kike me
Don't you black or white me

All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us

Tell me what has become of my life
I have a wife and two children who love me
I am the victim of police brutality, now
I'm tired of bein' the victim of hate
You're rapin' me of my pride
Oh, for peeps sake
I look to heaven to fulfill its prophecy...
Set me free

Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
trepidation, speculation
Everybody allegation
In the suite, on the news
Everybody dog food
black man, black male
Throw your brother in jail

All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us

Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?
Your proclamation promised me free liberty, now
I'm tired of bein' the victim of shame
They're throwing me in a class with a bad name
I can't believe this is the land from which I came
You know I do really hate to say it
The government don't wanna see
But if Roosevelt was livin'
He wouldn't let this be, no, no

Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
Situation, speculation
Everybody litigation
Beat me, bash me
You can never trash me
Hit me, kick me
You can never get me

All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us

Some things in life they just don't wanna see
But if Martin Luther was livin'
He wouldn't let this be

Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
Situation, segregation
Everybody allegation
In the suite, on the news
Everybody dog food
Kick me, strike me
Don't you wrong or right me

All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us

All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us

All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us

--------------

Next: Stranger In Moscow!

Michael Jackson's Father Passes Away at 89!

 On June 27th, 2018 Michael Jackson's dad passed on from a bout of cancer. Although he was very rough with his children and yes abused t...